- 1 When did old Tiger Stadium close?
- 2 Who hit home runs over the roof at Tiger Stadium?
- 3 Did the Detroit Lions ever play at Tiger Stadium?
- 4 What is the oldest stadium in Major League Baseball?
- 5 Did Kirk Gibson hit a ball out of Tiger Stadium?
- 6 What’s the longest home run Bo Jackson ever hit?
- 7 How far was the longest home run ever hit?
- 8 Who threw the last pitch at Tiger Stadium?
- 9 What was the last year the Lions played at Tiger Stadium?
- 10 When did Tiger Stadium get lights?
When did old Tiger Stadium close?
The last game at Tiger Stadium was on September 27, 1999. Many fans were saddened when the last game was played at “The Corner”. For nearly a decade Tiger Stadium sat abandoned as several attempts were made by preservation groups to save and renovate a portion of the facility for a variety of uses.
Who hit home runs over the roof at Tiger Stadium?
Cecil Fielder stroked a two-run blast into the upper deck left-center field bleachers off of Dave Stewart for his 40th home run of the season, becoming the fourth Tiger ever to reach that mark in a season.
Did the Detroit Lions ever play at Tiger Stadium?
The last Tigers game at the stadium was held on September 27, 1999. The stadium’s demolition was completed on September 21, 2009, though the stadium’s actual playing field remains at the corner where the stadium stood. In 2018, the site was redeveloped for youth sports.
What is the oldest stadium in Major League Baseball?
The oldest MLB ballpark is the home field of the Boston Red Sox – Fenway Park. Officially opened in 1912, this stadium is still operating to this day.
Did Kirk Gibson hit a ball out of Tiger Stadium?
Kirk Gibson famously hit a ball over the right field roof that landed in the lumber yard across the street, traveling a distance of more than 500 feet. Fittingly, in the last game at The Corner, on September 27, 1999, it was a Tiger who launched the final homer at Tiger Stadium.
What’s the longest home run Bo Jackson ever hit?
According to the Royals, Jackson’s 475-foot home run is still the longest home run hit in a regular season game in the stadium’s history. Johnny Bench hit one 480 feet to left field during the 1973 All-Star Game. Jackson would go on to hit 140 more moonshots, lasers and frozen-rope dingers.
How far was the longest home run ever hit?
The Longest Home Run Ever Was So Deep, It Fooled the Camera Man
- 535 Feet: Adam Dunn (Cincinnati Reds, 2004), Willie Stargell (Pittsburgh Pirates, 1978)
- 539 Feet: Reggie Jackson (Oakland Athletics, 1971)
- 565 Feet: Mickey Mantle (New York Yankees, 1953)
- 575 Feet: Babe Ruth (New York Yankees, 1921)
Who threw the last pitch at Tiger Stadium?
The final game at Tiger Stadium was played on September 27, 1999, between the Detroit Tigers and the Kansas City Royals. The Tigers were victorious 8–2. The winning pitcher was Detroit starter Brian Moehler. The losing pitcher was Jeff Suppan.
What was the last year the Lions played at Tiger Stadium?
William Clay Ford, Sr. The 1974 Detroit Lions season was the 45th season in franchise history. It was the Lions’ final season playing at Tiger Stadium; the team moved to the Pontiac Metropolitan Stadium the following season and played home games there until the end of their 2001 season.
When did Tiger Stadium get lights?
The eight steel towers that rose 150 feet in the sky contained 1,458 giant incandescent bulbs, bright enough to allow groundskeeper Neil Conway to read a newspaper at second base. Six weeks later, on June 15, 1948, fans began arriving at the ballpark at 6 p.m. for the Tigers’ first night game at home.